Thinking we'd like to try it out, we mentioned our plans to various parental friends and family. Many questioned the idea of exclusive babywearing because things don't always go according to plan, not all babies like to be worn and sometimes you just want to put your baby down (especially when they're heavy).
Wanting to be pragmatic and not knowing any other babywearers, we figured we needed some help. After a baby carrier class with MamaMaven we settled on four different slings:
- A Maya Wrap for myself
- A pouch sling from GorgeousBaby for The Husband
- A Moby Wrap for both of us
- A Beco ergonomic mei tei for long walks with a heavier baby
And sometimes, the best way to accept the way things happened is to pop that tiny little baby in a sling and wear her until her due date. Two days away from that due date, it turns out that babywearing was just what we needed.
For those curious about babywearing or how to make those slings work (because not all babies like all slings all the time) check out these cool sites:
- Babywearing tips from Mothering magazine
- The Baby Wearer
- New Native
- Marvelous Kiddo's babywearing observations
- Moby Wrap (it's easier than it looks)